Monday, March 8, 2010

Nature at its most basic





A Jeff Foxworthy-esk saying of what's happening to me would be, "I might be a red neck if I sit and watch sparrows having sex and get excited about it." It's true!

I took the pups outside while I finished my cup of coffee and meandered towards our glider on the other side of Larry's brother's pontoon boat. Low and behold, I saw a rumble of flapping wings and rolling little bodies in the sand and dirt. I knew they were little birds, and I think they were Black-cap Chickadees or small sparrows. I couldn't tell if they were two males fighting to the death over territory or having sex. I ran into the house to get my zoom lens and asked Larry. He confirmed the latter. I've never seen birds having sex before, and got very excited (just in a general interest way, of course). Boy, how do I "backstroke" out of this one.

Anyway, I got my camera just knowing I'd miss it by the time I got back out there, but they had just moved to the other side of the boat. I snuck up on them and got a few shots off, but couldn't get close enough for details. Mattie Grace happened to see them at this point and ran over to check out the commotion. The birds didn't even notice her head just four inches above them; just staring. Within seconds, though, Mattie bumped their union. They both looked up startled, instantly separated and flew away. I missed getting this on camera, but I let out the loudest belly laugh. It was great entertainment. Does this make me a Red Neck or just a perv?

Oh, P.S.: Woody Woodpecker (a Pileated Woodpecker) came to visit. It's the first one we've seen in several years. He landed on a pine tree in the water, so the picture I got is in sillouette. His beautiful red crest doesn't show up very well. But he was a handsome guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment