Thursday, October 17, 2013

Hurry Up and Wait!

Once we got a builder here in SC, and Larry completed his designs, we applied to the bank for a refinance to get a cash-out amount of money for our lake house renovations. The bank process dragged on way longer than we liked, and was much more painful than we expected. But, finally, we got our check, and now we are raring to go.

We contacted our builder that we had the money and were ready to sign a contract and schedule the build. We are still waiting for him to complete "the numbers". We have a tentative start of early to mid-November, and an appointment next Wednesday morning to meet with a window guy. We cannot afford the kind of renovations we wanted, so the builder is working hard to save us money. We really appreciate him.

We came down here now to pack up the house, so I can continue with chorus rehearsals in RI. I don't want to wait until November because the closer we get to the concerts, the more I need rehearsals. So, we came down to "get 'er done", but I contracted a bad cold and have been laid up with zero energy to pack. I have to just remain calm and know that I'll get it all done. I have to get well, and my energy back, so I can do what I need to do. Just breathe. It'll all be fine.

This is the stress that is beginning to build. We will be tearing the roof of the house, so it has to be emptied. Larry will remain here after I leave with the pups to be present for much of this project. He will come to RI as often as he can, and I will come back to SC as often as I can. We will fly when we have to and drive the rest of the time. It's going to be a stressful year, but one well worth it once the house is complete.

But, right now, we are getting the impression that this process will drag on longer than we like. Life is a little slow in the South, I know. And, the Yankee in me is chomping at the bit to get a move on. But, I have to take a step back, and realize I cannot control everything. Again. I can nudge it along, but I cannot make it happen. I just hate that!

In the meantime, I have to get better and get packing! I have to let go of the anticipation of chaos that will be the lake house and our yard until it's all done. We can replant later if need be. I worry if I should cut back our beautiful, huge Oak Leaf Hydrangea beforehand or wait to see how it has been damaged and cut off that part later. What Dogwood trees do I have to let go of emotionally? What Azaleas will get run over by huge truck tires? I have to let it all go and realize that in the end, it will be a little different than it was, but just as beautiful. Change is hard, but a good thing all the same.

The changes we make to this house will also make it more attractive to prospective buyers in the future. We will get to enjoy living in a newer house with all the amenities, like laundry facilities and clear water (instead of orange from iron-ore bacteria), and later we will have a greater chance of selling it. Selling it is our ultimate goal. Our life needs to downsize and simplify, but this "hurry up and wait" stuff is driving me nuts!

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there, Kathy! How wonderful it will be when everything is finished : )

    ReplyDelete