Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Getting a handle on it.


I was sitting by the window reading and noticed once again a funny feeling in my lower legs. They have been bothering me at night: always hot and feeling kind of "encased". I was shocked to see that my skin was actually orange!

My towel.
The water here at The Lakehouse has always been a problem. The sinks, tubs and toilets are severely stained, and without regularly changing the filters, standing water turns yellow/orange and looks oily. Shampoo does not soap up in this condition; neither does soap for that matter, including dish washing liquid. I no longer use the jet tub here for that reason. I tried soaking twice and when I looked down and saw I was sitting in oily-looking pee water, I quickly got out and never soaked again. We can't buy a washing machine yet either. Until we completely change out the water system, the laundromat is still my friend here. Larry has some ideas on how to change out the system, but like anything else in life: if you don't use it, you lose it. This house remains unused much of the year, and will continue to be this way as long as we own it. Now we're not sure changing out the system will work either. Don't know what to say about it now.  Anyway...

We had it tested several years ago and learned we have high levels of iron and manganese in it. After doing some research, Larry learned that when oxygen enters the well, iron-ore bacteria grows. The bacteria is what causes the oily look and the staining. Now it is all over my skin. I could live with stained fingernails and my little stained benign caratoses, but now my skin must be changing too. Both my lower legs are stained and inside my upper arms. I can feel it on my neck too. I don't now if I'm just obsessing now, but my legs and neck feel hot and uncomfortable. I can't live this way anymore!

Larry changed out the filters and flushed the system with bleach today. We took a lovely boat ride while the bleach was killing the bacteria. We usually do this in the spring, but we weren't here last year to do it, and it hasn't really been done in a couple of years. We just forgot. Country living is very basic, and I've learned to do it quite well, but I've drawn the line on orange skin!

I got in the lake today and scrubbed my skin with soap and a facecloth. Then I dove in to rinse. Actually, this was my first swim of the season, and it was wonderful! The water temperature is absolutely perfect. I've been feeling a little guilty about not exercising since I've been here, except for one walk, but now I can swim! Yippee.



The pups had a fine time on the boat today. The just love riding around the lake. So do we for that matter. We can check on what the neighbors have been up to: who's renovating, building up, and any new subdivisions that are being built. We learned the new subdivisions are virtually dead right now with this economy. But the big houses are still adding on.

It was a nice day over all. Anyway, I feel better getting that crap off my body. Now I just have to keep it off.

This is the mound I stepped in.
Another small mound: Invisible, right?
Speaking of keeping things off, when I was weed-wacking yesterday, I inadvertantely stepped in a fireant mound and did "the dance" to the lake to drown them off my feet. The dance is walking quickly or running to the water while stomping you feet hard on the ground trying to knock them off 'til you get there. Fireants aren't as bad as they sound, but they are pesky little critters. You really have to watch where you walk down here, because the mounds crop up everywhere and anywhere.


Largest mount in front of the garage.
I remember when we got married, the limo company had to switch out our limo at the last minute because of fireant infestation in it. We got a much bigger limo for the same price, so it was was good thing! When they get on you, they must send a signal, "Ready, set, GO!" Then they all bite you at once. I've had one on me that bit, and it is just like a little hot sting. Lots of them can really hurt. I also remember, Jackson got in one by accident and when I saw him rolling around helplessly on the ground one day, I scooped him up, dowsed him over and over in the lake, and picked the little buggers off one by one until he was ant free. They can be a real pain in the ass, and many other places, like my ankles.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You have a great attitude! Between the orange skin and the fire ants it sure seems as if country living has its challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  2. have any of your neighbors found a way to successfully deal with the well water? alternatively, have you thought about rigging up an outdoor shower using water from the lake? given how warm it is, it might be doable. I think I have heard about "solar" outdoor water showers for camps. just a thought. I actually love laundromats. get loads of reading done, and baskets of clean clothes to boot!

    love reading about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete